Phonics is a method of instruction based on sound and spelling relationship. Children, after knowing the sounds of different letters, learn how to blend them into words.
- Easy to learn
- Gives a solid foundation
- Makes learning of spellings easy
- Helps children pronounce new unknown words by themselves
- Simple to teach
5 things to remember while teaching phonics:
- Start at an early age. If your child can recognize his alphabet well, he is ready for phonics instruction.
- Keep the instructions simple and direct. Confused and complicated instructions will leave you and the child frustrated and you will not get the desired result.
- Keep each session just 15 mins long, not more. A child has a very short attention span and you want to make the most of it.
- Teach daily, and if the child has started enjoying it, may be you can have a quick revision before bed.
- Make it fun, only then will your child learn.