I had come across these beautiful set of commandments, by Dr. Kevin Leman, long back, when Aryan was just a year old. I was so touched by them that I have made it a habit to read them every now and then. There are times when I lose temper, or am depressed, as the house work never seems to end, or simply exhausted by the end of the day and feeling low! Reading these, at such times, brings an immediate change in my attitude. I think every mom should keep them handy.
- My hands are small; please don’t expect perfection whenever I make a bed, draw a picture, or throw a ball. My legs are short; please slow down so that I can keep up with you.
- My eyes have not seen the world as your have; please let me explore safely: don’t restrict me unnecessarily.
- Housework will always be there. I’m only little for a short time-please take time to explain things to me about this wonderful world, and do so willingly.
- My feelings are tender; please be sensitive to me needs; don’t nag me all day long. (You wouldn’t want to be nagged for your inquisitiveness.) Treat me as you would want to be treated.
- I am a special gift from God; please treasure me as God intended you to do, holding me accountable for my actions, giving me guidelines to live by, and disciplining me in a loving manner.
- I need your encouragement, but not your praise, to grow. Please go easy on the criticism; remember, you can criticize the things I do without criticizing me.
- Please give me the freedom to make decisions concerning myself. Permit me to fail, so that I can learn from my mistakes. Then someday I’ll be prepared to make the kind of decisions life requires of me.
- Please don’t do things over for me. Somehow that makes me feel that my efforts didn’t quite measure up to your expectations. I know it’s hard, but please don’t try to compare me with my brother or sister.
- Please don’t be afraid to leave for a weekend together. Kids needs vacations from their parents, just as parents need vacations from kids. Besides, it’s a great way to show us kids that your marriage is very special.
- Please take me to Sunday school and church regularly, setting a good example for me to follow. I enjoy learning more about God.
Reading these, every now and then, helps me reconnect with my little angels. Thank you, Dr Kevin Leman.