Friday, May 13, 2011

The 'Gr' Blend

Consonant clusters or blends are two or three consonants that appear together in a word with each consonant retaining its sound when blended.

The 'Gr' Blend:

Grab, grace, grade, graft, grain, gram, grand, grant, grapes, graph, grasp, grass, grate, grave, gray, graze.

Grease, great, greed, green, greet, grew.

Grid, grill, grim, grime, grin, grind, grip, grit.

Groan, groceries, groom, ground, group, grow.

Grub, grudge, gruff, grump.

Write the blend 'gr' set of words on individual cards. Underline the blend in every word. Explain your child that the set of two letters that needed to be spelt together or blended and help him in reading the first few words. Once he is comfortable reading individual words and recognizes the reading pattern, encourage him to read the story under your supervision.

Story for the 'gr' blend:

Grata, my grumpy grandma.

Grata, my granny, had a lot of grace,
Grata, my granny, had a grin on her face.

Grata, my granny, used to groan a lot.
Grata, the granny, had no greedy thoughts.

Grumpy, the granny, loved to grind grains,
Grumpy, the granny, liked green grapes.

Grata, my granny, loved green grass,
Grata, my granny, gave Grandpa odd tasks.

Grata, my granny, had a great grip,
Grata, my granny, took great big trips.

Grata, my granny, greeted me with a great hug,
Grata, my granny, loved greasy bugs.

Take Care.

No comments:

Post a Comment