Saturday, February 26, 2011

Phonics : The long vowel sound /i/

A long vowel sound is the one that says its name.

E.g :

/a/ as in cake
/e/ as in elect
/i/ as in bike
/o/ as in note
/u/ as in cute

The long vowel /i/ words used in today's story are :

Bike, ride, mile, rise, wipe, fine, hike, site, wise, line, life.

Sample word 'Bike' :

Following our regular study pattern, write the word on 'bike' on a plain card. Start by saying the /b/ sound. As you slide your fingers from the letter 'b' to the letter 'i', lay stress on the long vowel sound of /I/. Keeping the two vowel sound rule on your mind, say the /k/ sound, while skipping the /e/ in the end.

Story for the long vowel sound /i/:

My Bike.

I have a bike.
I can ride a mile on it.
I rise and wipe my bike to keep it fine.
I can hike on my bike to the site.
My bike is a wise bike.
It can ride on a line.
I like my bike.
It is my life.

Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment